Welcome to the world of amateur radio achievement, geography and history!
AWARDS BLOG VIEWING FILES FOR THE FUTURE.........
Oct 3-7, 2018
No awards posted these dates. Instead, my XYL and I flew to Kansas City, Missouri, right in the middle of the USA. The occasion was the 50th Anniversary of the Mobile Amateur Radio Club (MARAC), the parent organization of the USA-CA (USA County Award). About 100 county hunters got together, and since I lived through a lot of it (1960 to 2018). County hunting involves contacting a final total of 3,077 different counties. Some members had so much fun the first time, they kept in touch with all their friends, and did it again for the 2nd, 3rd, and way over the 4th time. Believe it or not, a small number of operators have traveled to EVERY County in the USA, and gave out QSLs for each. WOW! It is addictive, and fun.
Needless to say, I enjoyed the group. I am the awards custodian for CQ Magazine (USA), and have had the pleasure to issue at least 300 awards, from 500 to 3077 counties since 1998.
October 8, 2018
All of a sudden, activity in new awards is BIG. I start with these 3, and will be working on another 7 or so discovered before I left and yesterday, when I returned.
1. Italy - Diploma Baden Powell 2018. The award from Italy issued this on in memory of the founder of the Scouting programs.
2. Romania - King Ferdinand's Coronation. Celebrates his ascencion to the Romanian Crown in 1922.
3. Ireland - Sinking of the Royal Mail Ship "Leinster". Just weeks before the end of WWI, this ship was torpedoed by the German Navy. A sad note in the war.
October 9, 2018
As the weather turns to fall, the volume of new awards seems to grow every time I check the PC. Here are another 3.
All of these are VERY SHORT TERM. More to come!
1. Barcolana Cup - Trieste - 50th anniversary of this sailing race in Italy.
2. Hungary 90th birthdate of ham regulation. Good new prefixes available here.
3. Ukraine - Liberation of Melitopol features a part of a mural of the bitter fighting which characterized the "Eastern Front".
October 10, 2018
Three more today, and still finding new ones.
All of these are VERY SHORT TERM.
1. Italy - 50th Anniversary of their Pavia Section
2. USA - Fire Prevention Week. This is published every year.
Spotting networks have lots of their calls today.
3. Poland - Another one of a large group of different organizations who are sponsoring the Poles' 100th gain of independence.
;October 11, 2018
Another triple award today.
1. VERY SHORT - UKRAINE - Anniversary of the town of Krantorsk.
2. Permanent - Australia - Milliwatt per Kilometer QRP at its best. How far can YOU go on a few watts. Some good info about this.
3. Permanent - Italy - Diploma Imperium Romanum. Very historical award, The Romans ruled the land and seas for a very long time. (I have to get some additional from their custodian. Not complete, and no-one seems to have picked up some key info. (Like how much does it cost for DX stations and how many countries are needed to earn the award.
October 12, 2018
1.Permanent - Dept of Nievre - another in the "Department" series of their own awards.
2. Permanent - Kazakhstan - Green Kazakhstan. Very nicely designed for the Fauna/Flora collectors.
3. Very Short - Russia - 7th year anniversary. of a club.
October 14, 2018
I spent about 2 hours cleaning up the VERY-SHORT files, deleting those rules which have expired. My hosting company only has one TABLE function. I have asked for this to be enhanced, but nothing yet. So I spent 2 hours getting rid of expired awards. I've got some nice new ones for the week ahead.. Ted K1BV
October 15, 2018
Back to business now. Two from the VERY SHORT time awards just added.
1. Very Short - Ukraine - Day of the Defender. Religious in nature, I have added part of a WIKIPEDIA article to explain. Simple rules and a handsome award.
2. Very Short - Spain - Film Festival in Valladid. Very colorful.
October 16, 2018
Two awards today:
1. Very Short - Latvia Centenary Award.
2. Permanent - France. Some European countries will join into special good relations with other countries in any part of the world. This is for Nantes, France. Being friendly is always a Plus.
Organization of the files for this site:
There are many ways to provide information about awards. I have chosen to show the rules into separate files:
1. Very short data lives briefly, from a few days to a few months.
2. Annual/Short awards provide rules that cover more than a few months, and up to a year. Then they disappear.
3. Long term is just that. Forever, perhaps, but designed for long term usage, well over a year.
Info (with exception of permanent awards) are listed in random order on those pages that show rules. I remove items that are too old, or at the end of the term, and the item is deleted or transferred.
One of my problems is to provide you with a way to find the rules on my pages, quickly as possible.
My hosting company does not yet support the anchor link. But there's a way to get one to work. On the table at the top of each list of awards, I have used a table cell that carries a 4 digit letter/number key: such as A133.
If you open your browsers "FIND" function and just type this letter/number key into your browser, it will take about a millisecond for your browser to find that information. Try it. It's fast!
I hope to re-build the DXAWARDS website, over the next few months.
The most popular pages have been the new awards, broken down into Very Short, Annual and Permanent ones. (The online directory will take a lot of work, but it's in my plans. I want to modernize the USACA pages, and make it easier to provide useful information for county hunters.
The section just below this paragaph is a suggested way to do this work. As pages are added, I will make sure as new pages are added, that a link is available from the home page. Completed pages are Red/Bold/Underlined.
0. index - Home Page
1. Background of Award Hunting (working on this 10/19/17)
2. veryshortVery Short Term Awards
3. Annual/Short Term Awards (added 2 on 9/12/17)
5. ACCESS the K1BV DX AWARDS directory.
6. Info for the County Hunter
7. List of individual state County Awards of the USA
9. Table of VERY large award programs. (25-100 awards)
(This one should be coming pretty soon!! 9/18/18
MISCELLANEOUS TIPS, FACTS, and NOTIFICATION:
1. Your help is always appreciated. It can cover changed rules, posting of new awards, sponsors who don't reply to your applications, and dead URL's. If your club or group sponsors awards, and needs some publicity, feel free to send the rules and a sample of the award.
2. Since the late 1990's, I've written the awards column for CQ Magazine. From floppy disks to e-mail, it has been quite an experience. I administer the USA County Award. 3077 counties.
My mailing address is Ted Melinosky K1BV, 12 Wells Woods Road, Columbia, CT. 06237.
My e-mail is: email@example.com
3. Foreign Postage: I recommend the services of Bill Plum whose e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org .
4. Copyright 2018 by Theodore F. Melinosky
The K1BV DX Awards Directory